The definitive guide to tabletop photography: techniques and ideas for striking images
It doesn't matter how useful, unique, and carefully described the product you want to sell is if it doesn't have a striking, impressive, extraordinary photo. Well, you should not expect much from sales here. Using special techniques and knowing the peculiarities of the composition, you can create a truly exceptional photo. We share ideas that will help perform bright images that reveal the beauty of the products.
The basic rules of creating a composition for desktop photography
The composition will be responsible for the idea's integrity and the product's visualization. Having mastered the basic rules of arrangement and use of objects, you can emphasize professionalism and feel like an artist who creates something unique in front of the canvas.
How do you imagine the format of the image? How will it look on a presentation or in a catalog? It can be round, square, rectangular, or even triangular. In doing so, keep in mind that:
- The square format is static. It reinforces the importance of the central composition. Most often, it likes to place soothing subjects and still life.
- Round is ideal if you want to emphasize the shape of the object. It can be jewelry, accessories, decor, or objects of art.
- Rectangular is considered the most common and versatile for tabletop photography. Most of all, it reveals clothes, shoes, bags, crockery, appliances, gift sets, books, and sports equipment.
- The triangular format is rare, it is mainly used for artistic shoots. It is used for photography of collectible, exclusive, miniature objects, elements of art, and architecture.
Symmetry with balance
It is essential in photography to observe visual balance. Therefore, if the composition provides for the location of many objects, spots, or elements on one side - on the reverse side, you need to place an object that will visually balance the image. It is also worth considering that it is most pleasant to see symmetry for most people. Take this into account when creating a picture.
Natural lines that are harmoniously placed with the main subject draw the viewer's attention and intuitively guide them to the main features. In a similar way, diagonals can add movement to the shot material when used at various angles.
Naturally, a white background is thought to be universal; major marketplaces prefer to display images on it. However, contrast-enhanced photos might result in brighter, more vibrant images for your online store.
Try to emphasize the main character of the shoot! Leave as little free space as possible during the photo shoot unless you need some space to express your thoughts. Close-ups are the easiest and most effective way to capture the attention of a potential customer.
Enhance the impression
When photographing tabletop scenes, the primary object becomes an accent when geometric objects are used to draw the viewer's attention to it. A flat photo lacks the necessary volume, but the image can gain it with the correct foreshortening. Whether it's shaped like a ball, triangle, square, elliptical, or whatever, what matters is that it must follow the overall scheme.
Attention to detail
Display the variety of textures, tones, unique features, and patterns in the image; these components always stimulate the viewer's emotions. Of course, not every product has a very striking texture, but what if you attempt to capture an image from another viewpoint?
Give depth to the image
Tabletop photography at a rental studio can be enhanced by the use of extra objects and their arrangement in various places, which highlights the focal point of the shot.
Less is better than more
When creating a composition on the table, remember that you need to emphasize the main item. Therefore, additional elements should occupy less space, not overlap the main object, and not confuse the buyer.
The right angle
Of course, it's hard to choose the angle from which to take a photo right away. Don't be afraid to experiment with different angles during the photo shoot, creating many different shots. Subsequently, you will be able to choose the most vivid photos and show the buyer the product from different angles.
Ideas for a tabletop photo
Depending on the goods that you want to demonstrate and reveal in the tabletop photo shoot, the background, lighting, and photo style are selected. A composition is often created and supplemented with accessories or decorative elements. Consider simple ideas that will not take time and effort but brighten the images.
Tabletop photography of clothes and shoes
- Take close-up pictures of your folded clothes to highlight the fabric's texture.
- Use clear pastel colors as a background - they will not take away attention and will be pleasant to the eyes. Such a display is now considered the most relevant.
- Use stands and miniature mannequins to show some items of clothing, and shoes volumetrically.
- Emphasise the seasonal collection - add some objects characterizing the seasons.
- Experiment with angles and different positions, it will give dynamism to the story of your goods.
- Give the photo a certain style - this can be done by applying a special filter, adding paraphernalia, and additional processing.
- Add accessories to the frame, which will thematically relate to the clothes, emphasizing their characteristics, color, and texture.
Tabletop photography of cosmetics, and perfumes
- Make a little artwork with a cosmetic product as the focal point.
- Give customers a bright emotion. While planning shooting on the table try to evoke warm memories. Place items next to the product with which it is associated, for example, sun cream in a beach atmosphere.
- Show off the texture of the makeup with a drop of lotion (water mixed with thickener works well for visualization) or lipstick split into cubes in a glitter explosion.
- Display the composition's naturalness by using elements like fruit, golden sand grains, flowers, or plants.
- Present the cosmetics in their original package or without, arranging them on the table and playing with different arrangements. That kind of collage on a single image is striking, visually pleasing, and free of unnecessary elements.
Tabletop photography of food
The greatest tools for showing food are experiments. Make the most of your imagination because a picture cannot convey the flavor and wonderful perfume of this food. The prepared dish, together with its components and elegant presentation, can all be seen in the picture. In the studio for rent, the culinary process also appears amazing when photographed on a table. It is possible to create magic with the way you pour butter, sauce, flour, or textured cream over cake. You can utilize visual equivalents, such as foam, varnish, or even cotton, instead of having to start cooking right away in the photo studio.
Table photo of jewelry, ornaments, and accessories
- Use lighting effects, soft noble light often looks harmonious.
- Emphasise the inlay. Of course, it is difficult to photograph jewelry evenly, you need reflectors to eliminate unnecessary glare and reflections. However, doesn't a diamond with a lustrous effect look alluring in a photo?
- Create a stylish composition - add geometric objects that emphasize the shape of the jewelry.
- Take a photo on a hand or a stand to demonstrate the product in its real form, and create an additional perspective.
- Work on the background: A flat, monochrome image works best to help the viewer focus on all the details of the accessory.
- Create a story by arranging the same items in various configurations, using stones and sequins, and using the play of shadows to create harmony.
- Try adjusting the sharpness; for example, a sharp picture of the items on a blurry background will give the picture a greater depth.
Tableware, decorative elements, art objects
- Serving ware is what you typically think of when you think of crockery. It might be an excellent alternative if you give it some personality. To achieve this, you may use flowers, items, décor, and an odd angle.
- Consider taking a table image against a textured background to highlight the whiteness or texture of the goods.
- Place more standard items next to each other to visualize the shape and size of the products on offer.
- Experiment with decorations, there can be additional interior items in the composition such as cubes arranged on different levels, lines, or compositions with dried flowers.
- With different kinds of lighting, art pieces and décor show their true identities. Try using gentle, diffused lighting, or, on the other hand, employ specialized lighting from the front to highlight the piece's details or from behind to highlight a contour feature.
Flatlay is an adaptable style suitable for tabletop photography in a photo studio for rent with any non-large objects. Especially among individuals who use social media platforms like Instagram to expand their business, flatlay is very popular. In order to provide the impression that the viewer is looking at a unique work of art from above, the technique is to use a bright, juicy composition within the frame. It is important to keep the following in mind in order to transform the images of toys, dishes, cosmetics, accessories, shoes, and clothing into a work of exclusive art and showcase the author's creative abilities:
- Use an unusual textured or contrasting background, however, with some products pastel neutral background will look expressive.
- Choose lighting with a natural effect.
- Think about the color scheme of the objects that will participate in the composition, how they will be combined with each other, the main product, and the background. A color scheme can be a good assistant in this.
- Control the distance between objects, each of them should have its own space. Come up with a logical arrangement, even chaos should be artistic, not a mess.
- Fantasise - try to shoot the chosen composition not only from different angles but also slightly modify it by adding, moving, and removing objects.
- Choose a theme that will tie all of your ornamental compositions together. It is not essential to repeat the composition, just swapping out the items and the image, leaving only the character and one line.
- Try to rent a photo studio not for shooting a few compositions but for a full-fledged photo shoot. This will not only save the budget but also make the pages consistent, and harmonious.
- Take as many pictures as possible, they will give dynamism to the display when viewing.
Tabletop photography offers an infinite canvas for artistic expression and a perfect foundation for exhibiting an extensive range of goods, as you can see. By employing outstanding photography equipment and lighting, skillfully constructing the composition, utilizing unique backgrounds and approaches, and considering the attributes of the goods, you may produce stunning images that will astonish the customer.