What standards and guidelines should be followed for product photos on major e-commerce platforms such as Amazon or eBay?
Do you want your customers to be people from all over the world, significantly increasing your sales without huge investments? Then, you should definitely join the sellers of major e-commerce platforms such as Amazon or eBay! Everything appears to be extremely easy: register, list your products, accept the order, and profit—but there is a problem.
Sellers must fulfill specific conditions in order to submit images of their goods on either site. It is understandable, given that a picture is a crucial visualization element that encourages a transaction. Furthermore, customers might not be as eager to buy as you thought, even after accounting for the mandated picture uploading requirements. Once more, the image could be the primary issue. Amateur, low-quality photos will always cast doubt on them when contrasted with expert studio photography.
Recommendations for posting on Amazon
Amazon's basic, unspoken rule is "your products sell quality professional photos." How the photo is executed and placed is particularly important because the rating, frequency of requests, and number of purchases depend on each publication. In this way, the platform also monitors its image.
Amazon's basic technical standards
Consider the basic criteria:
- First and foremost, refuse images that are entirely inappropriate for the product being sold. The same applies to additional inscriptions, emblems, and watermarks - generally, nothing extra could distract from the goal.
- The "primary" image, which is the first representation of the product in the Amazon platform's catalog and user interface, is where you need to pay close attention and avoid exposing any extra accessories, props, or presentation alternatives that are not part of the sale.
- The main photo is exclusively white (#FFFFFFFF), but secondary photos can already be in other colors. Products such as books, DVDs and other things in the cover can be without background at all, on the full size of the frame with possible indents of 3 pixels.
- In an Amazon picture, the product should take up at least 85% of the picture, this also means that the margin indents should be minimized.
- The photo should zoom in so that a possible customer can examine the product in depth and determine its importance for themselves. As a result, the expansion is allowed up to 1000x1000 pixels. However, this option is also considered if the conventional size only corresponds to one side.
- For a more effective display of the image in the Amazon catalog, it is better to observe the proportions of 1:1,3.
- The leading photo format is JPEG, but TIFF, PNG, and GIF will also work well.
Amazon's general guidelines for posting product photos:
- It is important to convey through the photo how the product looks in reality without additional effects. It will help to do professional photography, after which the product will not need artistic retouching and processing.
- Do not limit yourself to one photo - show your product's beauty and use additional pictures from different sides.
- Give correct names for uploaded files. It means avoiding spaces or other characters that can be a barrier to online display.
- Many people take photos of a model or mannequin to showcase products, such as clothing. Amazon welcomes this, but only from the perspective of professionalism, no amateur photography. You can also try a trendy and win-win option - shooting on a ghost mannequin.
- If you're selling a set, the first photo should showcase all of its components.
Guidelines for listing on eBay
Unlike Amazon's strict standards, eBay's e-commerce platform may seem less demanding but it also has its own rules.
Basic technical standards for photos on eBay
Important points to consider are:
- The minimum allowed photo size on eBay is 500x500 pixels, but upsizing to 800-1600 is recommended.
- Think about the weight of the file - 12MB should be the limit. Note when uploading on your own rather than via a link to another file storage source, the maximum weight is reduced to 7MB.
- Also, ensure the image is clear and without unnecessary characters and elements.
- Unlike Amazon, a gray background color is allowed on eBay, but it must be an even neutral shade.
- Also, the image can have a natural shadow, but reflections, blackouts, and mirroring are not allowed.
- To the image's format and color rendering are similar to those described for the previous platform.
- The product must occupy at least 80-90% of the total area allocated for the image.
General guidelines for posting product photos on eBay:
- Cropped and slightly blurred photos are acceptable on this site, but only if it helps to get a good look at your product.
- Keep an eye on the quality and clarity of the photo - professional studio photos will attract more buyers than images taken at home or in a warehouse.
- It is also acceptable to place other objects near the product, but they should take up the background.
- Using additional objects in secondary photos can allow you to understand the size of the item visually. For example, a coin next to a piece of jewelry.
- Do not use someone else's photos or photos taken from a photo bank's repository.
Amazon and eBay are attractive to any business due to their fame and many potential customers; they will always provide sellers with buyers. Therefore, it would be frivolous to deprive the world of your beautiful products and not get income from them. While placing your goods in catalogs, you need to consider that both platforms adhere to specific photo standards. Meeting the criteria for uploading images and attracting as many customers as possible, it is advised to take into account the following factors:
- Sufficient image size with zoom-in function if desired.
- A white background without unnecessary details will help focus only on the product.
- Think through the strategy to give your store its own character.
- Create natural, authentic photos with the perfect lighting environment.
- When photographing products, achieve clarity and consistent angles using a tripod.
- Use more than one photo per item.
- Use quality image processing or editing.
- Consider composition - the point of the product and the area it occupies in the frame.
Most people can sell their products on Amazon and eBay because that is how these marketplaces are created. Professional product images are, however, essential if you want to succeed in the long run and make steady sales in the e-commerce industry. The studio for rent is equipped with special equipment and tools that will create the right atmosphere for your goods, as well as perform the photo taking into account all the standards and guidelines of Amazon and eBay.